The modern history of Stavropol started in 1777 when a fortress within the Azov-Mozdok defensive line was founded. Soon the settlement became a town which was very important as the main “Gates” of Russia at the Caucasus. The development of the town promoted successful opening up of the vast uninhabited territories at the southern borders of Russia, economical cultural rise of the local peoples. Stavropol has become a city in 1785.
"Stavropol" means "city of cross" in Greek.
The area of Russia in which Stavropol resides is very mountainous, placing the city in the midst of the Caucasus mountain range. The city has one the biggest and best city parks in Russia. Stavropol occupies a territory of 242 square kilometres and has a population of 350000 people.
Stavropol is the administrative, economic and cultural centre of the Stavropolsky region today.
The first Russian Drama Theatre and the first Museum of Local Lore made an important contribution to development of the North Caucasus culture. There are 2 theatres, 6 museums, the Philharmonic Hall and the Circus in Stavropol.