The Ivanovskaya region is situated in the center of European part of Russia. The greater part of the region lies in the country between two rivers the Volga and the Klyazma. Borders with Vladimirskaya, Nizhegorodskaya, Kostromskaya and Yaroslavskaya regions.
The distance from Ivanovo (the administrative center of the region) to Moscow is 318 km. The biggest towns beside Ivanovo are Kineshma, Shuya, Vichuga, Furmanov, Teikovo, Rodniki.
The Ivanovskaya region is reckoned among the most favourable regions as regards ecology and possesses the richest recreation possibilities to which belong water and forest resources, unforgettable nature landscapes.
The region surface is mainly plane, low-lying and only here and there wavy. In the west and north-west part of its territory (from the lake Nero in Yaroslavl region to the town Plyos on the Volga) there stretches a morainal range which serves the watershed between Volga's and Klyazma's basins. On the high Volga's banks there is town Plyos, museum-town, town of sanatoria and rest homes.
The majority of regional rivers (about 70%) belongs to Klyazma basin into which there fall the Nerl and the Uvod, the Tesa and the Lukh with their inflows. In the region in all there are over 100 rivers having length of ten and more kilometers and their total extent makes up almost 4000 km.
The Volga carries its waters through the region territory for a distance of 173 km and gives go out to the Caspian, Black, Azov, White and Baltic Seas. Since 1955 it has become full-flowing on account of building of the Gorky Pool which width here and there achieves 16 km. To the number navigable rivers belongs the river Temsa all the way from the mouth to Shuya town. The river Uvod on which banks there is situated Ivanovo town flows in the limits of region for a distance of 134 km.
In the south-west our region includes a small part of Vladimir Opolye with fertile soils. On the rest territory there prevail podzol, sandy-loam and clay soils.
The region is rich in mixed forests which occupy about 46% of its territory. Meadow vegetation is very diverse. Especially valuable as fodder are clover, white, timophygrass, oatgrass, meadow, and many other kinds of grasses.
And rich enough is the animal world of this land. Over 180 species of birds, 46 species of fishes and over 40 species of wild animals inhabit the Ivanovskaya region.
The climate is temperate-continental for which there are typical hot summer and frosty winter with steady snow cover.
The Ivanovskaya Region is situated in the centre of Russia and included in the Golden ring route. Railway connects Ivanovo, Kineshma and Shuya with Moscow, St.-Petersburg and other cities. All the regions are connected with bridges. A car bridge across the Volga River was built in Kineshma.
On the 21st of July in 1871 (August, 2 on the old style) the emperor Alexander 2 confirmed the renaming of the village of Ivanovo and Voznesensk surburb of Vladimirskaya province, adopted by the Cabinet, into non-uyezd town Ivanovo-Voznesensk. Officially, it was announced about the foundation of a new town August, 30 in 1873.
The village of Ivanovo is mentioned in the historical documents; in 1328 in Ivan Kalita’s spiritual letter as settlements Ivan-on-the-Uvod, under Dmitry Donskoy (1363-1389) it was named the village of Ivan. Probably, at this period the chapel appeared in honour of Ioann Predtechi in the village of Ivan, that was what caused for calling the village after this saint’s name.
Later, in the beginning of the 17th century the Saint Ioann Predtechi’s church appeared in the village. In 1561 Ivan the Terrible granted the village of Ivanovo to the dukes Cherkassky. Since that it was officially mentioned in a lot of historical documents. In 1628 the village appeared in the cadastres of the Suzdal uyezd “at the river Uvod and two natural boundaries the Stream and Kokye”.
In 1653 in Ivanovo the church of Pall Saint Virgin was built at a monastery. In 1723 the Cross-exaltation temple was constructed with a side-chapel of Saint Ioann Bogoslov. Predtechi’s church was at the monastery till 1771.
In the 17th century the village of Ivanovo became known in Russia and abroad of manufacture of flax linen. Peter 1 paid attention to organize here manufactures. The 1st manufacture was opened in 1741 and by 1825 125 manufactures had already worked in the village and in the surrounding settlements. So the region of the cotton industry with the center in village of Ivanovo was formed.
To the moment of formation of the town there were 48 mills and factories, 8 churches, 256 stone-buildings, 1652 private houses and 10832 inhabitants. In 1787 the first hand-printing factory started to work and from 1832 mechanical printing of printed cotton began to work. In 1838 the first paper-spinning factory was opened. With the formation of Ivanovo-Voznesensk province in 1918 different measures were taken upon restoration of the industry and all town economy after the rain caused by civil war and starvation.
In January, 1929, with the formation of Ivanovo industrial area, Ivanovo-Voznesensk became its center, and in 1932 it was renamed into town of Ivanovo. The wide work on transformation of the town into a large industrial, scientific, cultural center was developed. From 1920 to 1940 the majority of the industrial enterprises were put into operation again or were constructed in Ivanovo.
Nowadays, Ivanovo is a large industrial center of the region and the central part of Russia. The industry of the town is 96 large and average industrial enterprises on which more than 47,5 thousand people work.
The Assumption (Uspenskaya) church was built in 1834-1843 by a project of Vladimir province architect B.L. Petrov on the old village cemetry territory. In 1933 the cathedral was closed. On the place of the cemetry it was arranged a rest and culture park of Melanzhevy group of factories. Later there was an enterprise “Ivgorelectroset” in thee cathedral. In 1995 there were resumed divine services in the cathedral. In 1998 it was arranges a monastery there. Now the cathedral of the Assumption is restoring. On the territory of the former cemetry there is building a new cathedral in honour of Russian Neo-martyrs. It is supposed to build all over the perimeter fraternal residental buildings. The monastery has a farm (podvorye) at the church of the Resurrection in Tolpygino village of Privolzhsky district.
St. Introduction (Svyato-Vedensky) nunnery
In May 21, 1901 it took place a ceremonial laying of a foundation-stone for the church of the Introduction. The church building was carried out with the help of charity donations of Ivanovo-Voznesensk merchants, factory owners, collectives of industrial and office workers. On June 21 , 1907 the church was finished and consecrated by Vladimirsky archbishop Nikolay. The altar was devoted to Introduction into the church of the most holy Virgin/ side altars to to a Consecrator and Miracle Man Nikolay Mirlikiysky and to a Great-Martyr Fedor Tiron. The first prior of the cathedral was a priest Mikhail Stepanovich Kokhomsky. In 1938 the church was closed. The decorations and icons were plundered and in the emptied building it was located the Regional State Archives. During the war in 1942 it was made an attempt to open the church. Believers gathered signatures, wrote numerous petitions. But the authorities had decided: “ for opening the church there are no grounds”. Only in 1990 the church was transferred to a believers’ community. There began works on repair and restoration of the church, clergy house of parish and house-hold buildings. In 1991 it was received blessing from the most Hole Patriarch Aleksy II for for foundation of a nunnery. In the same summer one opened the roof over a one-storey building from the east side and began to build the second storey for future cells. At the same time one began build a big nunnery refectory over the garage. All construction works were carried out acc. to the project under the supervision of architect Elena Antarinova. On November 5, 1991 Sovereign Amvrosy performed the first taking of vows and made a nun nine sisters and made a monk deacon , father Evgeny In August of 1993 the town and the nunnery were visited by the Most Holy Patriarch Aleksy II. To his coming it was completed the new refectory and finishing works in the sisters’ building, the nunnery territory was laid with asphalt. Before Patriarch’s coming on July 31, 1993 there were brought relics of God’s saints: non-apotheosized yet by church - St. Vasily Kineshemsky and “God’s fool” Aleksey Yelnatsky. The first church service at relics on August 13 , 1993 on the day of St. Vasily held Ivanovsky and Kineshemsky archbishop Amvrosy. The nunnery was growing very rapidly. It is growing the number of sisters. In 1991 yet it was given for the nunnery a lot of ground with semi- destroyed church in the Doronino village. of Teykovsky district where it was grounded a small and secluded monastery and a farm garden. The church in honour of the God’s Transfiguration built in 1798 was begun to repair and on the patron saint’s day in August 1994 there was held the first church service. In 1993 it was given to the nunnery another lot of land in the village Zlatoust of Lezhnevsky district. Formerly it was an estate of the Romanovs’ family. Therefore the skit (small and secluded monastery) began to name Romanovsky. A two-storey building was in a very neglected state: it had only walls. After building repair it was arranged a home church in honour of the Most Holy Virgin’s Intercession. Since the Christ Christmas of 1998 there are held church services every day there. During the nunnery existence there were built a bell-tower, priests’ building, brick fence, a new 3-storey sisters’ building and a two-storey nunnery inn. The sisters’ number now exceeds 200 persons. Since 1993 the nunnery has been publishing ecclesiastical literature and a paper “A word of consolation”. Sisters together with father Amvrosy broadcast at the orthodox radiostation “Rodonezh”. visit military units , prisons and colonies.
Ivanovski District Art Museum
Opened in 1960. Situated in the building of former technical high school, built in 1886 according to the project of architects P.V.Troitski and V.F. Sikorski.Total area of the building is 29000 sq.km.,exposition area –1734 sq.km.
- The art of the ancient world:Egypt,Greece,Rome. - Decorative applied art of the East - XVIII-the beginning of XX centuries: India, China, Percia, Iran. - Icon painting - XV - of XX cent. Moscow school, Painting of the North, Privolzhskaya school, Stroganov icons, Mstera and Holui icons. - Russian painting,graphics,sculpture of XVIII-XX cent. - Decorative applied art-ivory, porcelain, silver. Main exposition has following themes: - The art of the ancient world: Egypt, Greece, Rome-Icon painting of XVI-XIX cent - Russian painting of XVIII-XX cent. - Ðóññêîå èñêóññòâî XVIII-XX ââ.
There is an art shop.It offers rich choice of articles made in Palekh, Holui, Mstera, Zhostovo, Khokhloma, Pavlov possad, Rostov, Krasnoye and the paintings of Ivanovo artists.
The Ivanovo Cotton Miseum is located in the "Modern" style building erected at the beginning of the XX century on the architect A.F.Snurilov's project and belonged to D.G.Burylin. The museum was opened in May 1987.
The museum displays illustrate textile production in Ivanovo area from ancient times to present. Exhibited are:
peasants’ tools for making linen,
unique boards – manera – for applying patterns to fabric,
specimens of hand made fabrics and costumes,
fabrics of industrial printing
costumes of 19-20th centuries.