Russia began to be divided into regions in 1708. Kostromskoy krai was included into the Arkhangelogorodskaya region together with the cities Galich , Sol-Galitskaya, Unzha, Parfenjev, Suday, Kologriv and Kineshma, the Kostroma city was included into the Moscow region. During the XVIII century these cities were redistributed between the same two regions. After several re-divisions in the history after that the Kostromskaya region was represented as a separate administrative unit on 13 August, 1944.
Extent of the Kostromskaya region from the North to the South is 260 km, from the West to the East - 420 km, the area of territory - 60,2 thousand square kilometers. On the North the Kostromskaya region borders on the Vologodskaya region, in the South - with Ivanovskaya and Nizhegorodskaya regions, in the West - with the Yaroslavskaya region, in the East - with the Kirovskaya region. More than 80 nationalities live in the territory of the Kostromskaya region, among them Russians - 96,3 %. The number of permanent population - 766,4 thousand people.
More than 2632 rivers flow over the territory of the region, the most important rivers are the Volga River, and other rivers from its basin: Kostroma, Unzha, Vetluga. The extent of the Volga in the territory of the region is 89 km. The largest lakes of the Kostromskaya region are the Galich Lake and the Chukhlomskoe Lake.
The Kostromskaya region has advantageous transport location. The main transit railroads, water and automobile routes pass through its territory.
Administrative, cultural and industrial center of region - the Kostroma city . The city’s name comes from an ancient paganish Slavic holiday “Kostroma” in honour of almighty god of the sun Yarilo. The city was established in 1152 and is situated in 330 kilometers to the north-east of Moscow in the Kostroma lowland, along both shores of the Volga River. Automobile route Moscow - Yaroslavl - Kirov - Perm - Ekaterinburg passes through Kostroma. There is a railroad station, a river port, an airport in the city. Kostroma was established by Yuri Dolgoruky in 1152. The events which had all-Russian value occurred in the Ipatievsky monastery of Kostroma in the XVII century. In March 1613 the monastery met the Moscow embassy and young tsar Mikhail Romanov was called to the reign. Since then Kostroma occupies special position in the history of Russian state as the cradle of the Romanov family. Together with the unique architectural ensemble of the Kostroma the architectural museum- preserve "the Ipatievsky monastery", the Bogoyavlenskiy monastery and the Church of Resurrection on Debra became the monuments of the XVI -XVII centuries.
One of the best examples of the Russian provincial classicism of the end of the XVIII-the beginning of the XIX centuries is the administrative- commercial architectural complex in the center of city. In the old part of Kostroma the historical structure was preserved - beam grid of streets, which corresponds to the general plan of city, affirmed by empress Ekaterina II in 1781 with the disclosure of the center of city to the Volga River.
Kostroma is the native land of the founder of the Russia's first theater Fedor Volkov. Poet A. Pleshcheyev and writer P. Katenin, dramatist V. Rozov were born in Kostroma , writers A. Pisemsky, V. Rozanov, V. Ivanov, Y. Osetrov , literary critic I. Dedkov, artists N. Shlein, N. Shuvalov, A. Belykh and others lived in Kostroma. World-known are the figures of such Kostroma residents like scientist, writer Maecenas F. Chizhov, traveller G. Nevelskoy.
4 state higher educational institutions and the spiritual seminary are situated in the Kostroma city.
A.N. Ostrovsky-Schelykovo state memorial and museum-reserve
A.N. Ostrovsky visited a village Schelykovo in the May of 1848 for the first time and beautifully nature impressed him greatly! “If the village were either near Moscow or St. Petersburg, it would be a beautiful park compared to the most picturesque places of Switzerland and Italy”, - he wrote down in his diary. Ostrovsky spent every summer there starting the year of 1867. Life in a mansion in the village had a favourable influence on him. He enjoyed walking around, hunting, gathering berries and mushrooms and fishing. The writer worked a lot in the village: he created 19 plays there, including “Forest”, “Fox and geese”, “Portionless young girl” and other. The nature of the village inspired him on creating a spring tale “Snegurochka”. A house of the writer, which was built in the late 18th century, is the heart of the reserve. The house is surrounded with an ancient park with bridges, greenhouses, and shady alleys. The family with the writer was buried in a village Nikolo-Berezhki, not far of the grange.