The Kurganskaya region is located at the joint of the Ural Mountains and Siberia, in the southeastern part of the Western Siberian lowland, in the basin of the Tobola River and Iset River. The territory of the region is 71,5 thousand square kilometers, extent from the West to the East 430 km, from the North to the South - 290 km. The region has advantageous location. Along its territory the electrified Trans-Siberian railroad main line passes, the main oil and gas pipes. It borders on the highly developed regions of the Ural Mountains - Sverdlovskaya and Chelyabinskaya regions, and also with Tyumenskaya region and the Republic of Kazakhstan. These factors enhance the development of wide interregional connections, the usage of Ural's metal, oil and gas of Siberia, Siberian and Kazakhstan coals and other minerals. The geographical location of the Kurganskaya region in the depth of the Eurasian continent defines its climate as continental. It is far away from the warm seas of Atlantic Ocean, bordered from the West by Ural ridge, completely opened from the northern side and very little protected from the South. All this leads to the unstable meteorological conditions. January (average temperature -18°) is the coldest month, the warmest is July ( average temperature +19°).
On the Kurgan land there are many monuments of archaeology, which belong to various cultures and epochs. One of most known - the Tsarev Kurgan, which gave its name to the Kurgan city. There is the legend about Tsarev Kurgan: on the high shore of Tobola River, at the picturesque place, where the settlement Tsarevo Gorodische was established, in the old ages there was the yourtas of the famous Tatar Khan. Its daughter was a stunning beauty. But her life was broken when she was young. Father buried the dear daughter next to his dwelling, and above the grave he ordered to pour a high barrow. Once, through many years, hunters decided to ransack barrow. The Khans daughter didn't tolerate the disturbance of her rest. The pair of the white horses, charged into the silver chariot, was pulled out in summer midnight from the depth of the barrow and the Khan's daughter in the richest Tatar dress guided them. The dissolved hair volitated in air. Terrible and excellent girl dashed to the West and disappeared together with her chariot in the depth of the Chukhlomskoe lake.
The first Russian populated area in the southern Beyond-Ural area became the Dalmat's monastery, eastablished in 1644 by the monk Dalmat Ioannovich Mokrinsky. The ancient manuscripts report that find under the patronage of Our Lady, Dalmat avoided decease from the sword of the land's owner. This uninhabited land belonged to notable Tyumen's tatar murz Iligey. In the autumn of 1645 Iligey, after arriving with his people, stopped at the right bank of the Iseti River in order to punish the russian monk after crossing the river in the morning. But at night, when Iligey slept, the holiest Our Lady appeared in his dream, and ordered murz to give to Dalmat the entire land and to cause him no offence. In the morning shaked Iligey arrived to Dalmat with peace and presented to Dalmat its combat helmet and hauberkas as a sign of friendship, love and respect. Considered wonder-working, they were stored in the Dalmatovsky Uspenski monastery for more than 280 years. The peace principles of orthodox and islamic people were stamped in the people consciousness for the centuries .
The Kurgan city is the administrative center of the Kurganskaya region. It obtained a city status in 1782 with its new name. Nearly three years later Catherine the Great approved the emblem: two silver burial mounds in a green field. There is a following fact in the city’s history: different times different Decembrists live in exile in Kurgan, and among them were Wilgelm Kukhelbeker, Andrey Rozen, Mikhail Naryshkin.
There were two development impacts in the city’s history: Trans Siberian line through Kurgan in 1894 and receiving a region’s centre status in 1943. In the war period 15 industrial institutions and 20 thousand people were evacuated to the city. Several large industrial plantc were built up in the city in the 50s. In 1982 the city was awarded with the Order of Red Labour Banner.
Contemporary Kurgan is a modern large industrial and cultural TransUrals centre with the population of 361,5 thousand. Its total area is 0,39 thousand square km. Kurgan is a Ruphin’s twin town (Florence, Italy) and Appletown (Wisconsin, the USA).